Monday, December 1, 2008

New Gear!

So I took the plunge and made a relatively large purchase. The largest purchase to date in my photographic journey. But with several shoots coming up, and the realization that the XTi would no longer cut the mustard in low-light situations, I had to do something.
I got a Canon EOS 5D. More information on this fine piece of a camera can be found at DPReview. Here's a link to their review: Canon 5D Review.

I can't say enough about it's greatness. Coming from a Canon EOS Rebel XTi, it's a huge step up in performance, usability, quality and...awesomeness.
It makes the XTi feel like a silly toy intended for ages 8 and under.
The Viewfinder is ginormous, the grip fits in the hand perfectly, the controls are great etc. etc...

I'm no longer afraid to shoot above ISO 800. I'm no longer afraid to crop.

The downside is that the images are going to eat up hard drive space like pac-man at a blue-ghost convention...*hammit-hammit!*

They say great images are made by good photographers, no matter what gear you use. I belive that is only partly accurate. Great gear makes great images. Using great gear well statistically yeilds a higher amount of usable images resulting in a higher-quality final product.

Lates

No comments: